Monday, May 14, 2018

Celebrating Those Who Nurture

What a wonderful weekend we had, the weather was simply perfect.  Sunny and warm and pleasant.  Dayle and our son Travis went to Costco on Saturday and returned home with arms full of flowers for Kristi and I for Mother's Day.  I want to recognize ALL those who nurture their friends and family and even their pets - men, women, all of those who care for us all.  


Dayle got me some pretty two-toned roses and also a bunch with blood red and white ones.  Kristi's favorite are yellow roses.


My daughter Amy in Ohio sent me this wonderful hand-crafted oak wooden spoon, isn't it neat?


I oiled it with mineral oil and it drank it in.  


And it even has my name on it!  Fun!


I made baked beans yesterday for a Mother's Day BBQ and used my new spoon to stir it as it simmered on the stove for a few hours.  :-)


My Sensation Lilac has fully bloomed out and now I'm trying to figure out the very best place to plant it so it can thrive.  


We relaxed on the deck a lot over the weekend, listening to the little waterfall's sounds and the birdsong.


My Lantana's are adjusting to their new home and seem to be growing in front of my eyes.


Every year I see more varieties of these.  Some are orange, yellow and pink, like this one, some are mostly yellow, some are more pastel.  :-)


Kristi worked hard in the yard over the weekend and so we went to Tad's for dinner on Saturday evening.  I wanted to tell you that after a 6 month regimen of low carb, and a loss of 25 lbs., I have gone back to eating what the rest of the family is having.  I decided that any meal regimen that forbade fruit, carrots, peas, corn and potatoes, bread, pasta and rice wasn't good for a long-term plan.   


One of the highlights of my weekend is when my grandson Hayden handed me this card he made for me.  :-)


I think I might need to frame this and keep it forever!  :-)


Our pink Rhododendron is in bloom and the bright orange azalea that Kristi planted a few years ago is doing well!


All of my Hostas are doing extremely well this year so I've decided to plant the rest of this tiered area with them.  It's a shady area and these do really well there.


More Lantana pix.


Look at my purple Clematis.. wow.. now that's purple!


My pink Rosebud Azalea is stunning each year.


And my huge bright fuchsia Rhodie.. I have at least 3 of these, the one across the circle drive is 25 feet tall!


These really are eye-poppers!


The white with dark purple markings.


And I picked a nice bunch of Lily-of-the-Valley!


I meant to put these in a smaller vase but yesterday was busy so I stuck them in this glass tumbler for awhile.. they're still there.. lol.


Dayle BBQed chicken, I made the baked beans, doctoring up canned baked beans with ketchup, some mustard, brown sugar and I sliced up a whole orange and added them while they simmered and oh-la-la.. they were good!  And the first potato salad of the summer.. Yukon Gold potatoes, hard boiled eggs, chopped celery, mayo, mustard and chopped pickles.  Picnic food!  


Well, I must dash to my DAR meeting and then to swimming.. have a super week!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

16 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a perfect weekend Teresa. I really enjoy seeing all of your flowers on your property (and admit to being envious of some of them - lol). Your "picnic" food is a lot like what we had Saturday - hot chicken (grilled), baked beans, collards and cole slaw. Strawberry shortcake for dessert.

    I will tell you that I've never had success with any diet that "forbids" certain foods...just makes me crave them more. My Dad used to say everything and anything in moderation. Congratulations on the 25 lbs lost though - that's significant!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the pretty flowers inside and outside! I'm glad you and yours had a good weekend. We did too, and I especially enjoyed being out and about yesterday and seeing all the pretty bushes and trees in bloom in the SUNSHINE!!! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The card from your Grandson was precious, just amazing. Well done on your weight loss. The chicken and baked beans looked delicious, I do wish I could have joined you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a wonderful grandson! Great card. HE gave it thought! Mmmmm oranges in the beans? I've never heard of that. MUST TRY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa your garden is so beautiful especially your Fuchsias and Azaleas. I've never seen Lantanas before, they are so pretty. I think homemade cards from children are always the most precious (I haven't any grandkids just yet, here's hoping). Glad you had a lovely Mums day xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that card! Your flowers are gorgeous as always too. What a thoughtful gift that Amy sent you. I enjoy using wooden spoons too and to have one with your name on it makes it even more special.
    You did so great on your diet. I think diets that eliminate fruits and veggies is a bit strange but that particular one does seem to be very poplular these days. Dennis and I are doing the complete opposite on the advice of his doctor. More fruits and veggies and less meat and oils. It's supposed to help with diabetes and high BP in particular. We shall see. So far it's pretty good since we love fruits and veggies. Have a lovely week Teresa!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH, those gorgeous flowers! And your food, the chicken, baked beans and potato salad, that really is my favorite meal of them all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the well-wishes for Mother's Day and for sharing pics of your beautiful garden! Looks like you had a perfect weekend. And the card from you grandson...so precious! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness Teresa, what a darling card from your grandson. I agree you should frame it. Lovely, lovely flowers in your garden--so lush and healthy. Your Mother's Day was perfect. Have a beautiful week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect Mother's Day Teresa, full of love, flowers, sunshine and your dear family.I loved Haydon's card, so sweet! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post Teresa and Happy mothers day to you. I am behind in doing a post lol Love the wooden spoon and those beautiful flowers/plants. So sweet of Hayden and yes framing sounds lovely to preserve it forever ♥ All those who do nurture anyone are very special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Teresa, on your weight loss. I haven't been able to do it so I understand the effort you have made. I continue to enjoy your beautiful blog after all these years of reading it. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have caught up with all your news! Your garden/ yard :-) is a riot of colour - so beautiful.
    Congrats on the weight loss. It is so hard, I struggle and all we hear, here is news of the obesity epidemic and ways to combat it. I notice though that in hospitals and the GP surgery there are some very overweight Doctors and Nurses. I continue to struggle - :-( Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that card is priceless and I have to add greatest Mother, Wife, Sister and Friend to that list. Your flowers are stunning Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops might add that I think 25 pounds is amazing! It is a huge accomplishment, don't forget that.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)